Thursday, January 16, 2014

Five Minute Friday: Encouragement

Go:

Most of the time, I need encouragement like I need air. I am desperate for affirmation. I need confirmation, divine or not, to let me know I am on the right path, making the right decisions, becoming the "right" version of myself...

And yet, I know better. In my heart, I understand more than I can explain that I live for an audience of one and His approval is the only one that matters. But sometimes, I am just so desperate for encouragement that I will take it from anywhere and won't seek His voice first. Because, I can't hear Him sometimes over the din of my everyday life. And I live in a world of instant gratification and I have a hard time being still. And as much as I consider myself a good listener, I still feel the need to listen to someone I can hear, instead of the One I can feel with all of my being.

I rarely have an issue giving encouragement and I am quite happy to be the one who does so. It is so much easier for me to pour into other people than ask for myself. When I receive it, I savor it, replay it, let it soak into my bones. When I don't, I become this hobbit of a person I hardly know, with a wanting I can hardly stand. 

The Word became flesh and dwelt among us and left His life story as an encouragement. What I desperately want is that as I consume His Word, that it be enough for me, so that the real life encouragements, when they come, will be a sweet enrichment for an already encouraged soul.

Stop.

Every Friday, a new prompt & intentional 5 minute freewrite for bloggers.
Awesomeness? I think so! 
FiveMinuteFriday

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for your encouragement on my #fmf post!

    "I need confirmation, divine or not, to let me know I am on the right path, making the right decisions, becoming the "right" version of myself..."

    YES! This is me too. It's so hard to know what the "right" version of ourselves is. Maybe there isn't one! Maybe the key is submitting to what God has for us in the moment and allowing him to shape us and use us for his purposes and glory. So hard to live out but we can encourage one another as we go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fav. "When I receive it, I savor it, replay it, let it soak into my bones. When I don't, I become this hobbit of a person I hardly know, with a wanting I can hardly stand. " YES and what a great mental picture! This was great.

    ReplyDelete